About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 year old Business Systems Analyst planning a DIY-heavy wedding to the love of my life on 9 . 10 . 11. Other then wedding planning, I spend most of my time trying to stay in shape or playing with my 3 dogs...Gabby, Dudley, and Tyson. I hate cleaning and almost never go a day without wearing something purple, and I hope you can keep up with my ADD blogging style!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I hate my skin...

Let me begin by saying I had the clearest skin ever through middle school and high school.  While everyone else was being awkward together and having pimples, my skin was flawless.  When I went to college that changed.

My skin isn't that bad.  I get a lot of little, under the skin white heads that no one can really see (but me), and I occasionally get big, painful, cystic pimples that basically develop a mind of their own and sometimes get to the point where I can actually feel my pulse in them.  Then I lose my mind trying to pop them and end up piercing them with a needle to get all the horrible-ness out.  Then I COVER it in heavy duty acne medicine and after a few days of looking like a scab, it goes away.

You would think I would have scars on my face from all the popping I do, but I don't.  Either I am an extremely skilled popper, or it is just genetics or something.  But, needless to say, after the pimple heals there is no sign that I had brutally attacked it a few days before.

Well, you may remember, a few months ago I started going to a dermatologist.  First it was a pill, face wash, and a cream - but I was only supposed to be on the pill for a short period of time while we got things under control.  That kind of helped with the big, painful guys but I still had all the little, under the skin ones.  So we changed the cream but kept the pill and the face wash.  That cream dried my skin out like woah.  I couldn't use it every day, but if I didn't use it every day it didn't really work.  Then I ran out of the pills (that I wasn't supposed to have to be on long term) and everything came back.

I am not okay with the idea of being on a pill forever for my skin.  I don't think my body should be constantly exposed to an antibiotic like that.  So I'm taking it into my own hands...and I threw down a pretty penny on a bunch of Murad Products.

Up first, Murad Clarifying Cleanser.  I use this twice a day.



Then, I spot treat with Murad Acne Spot Treatment.  This has salicylic acid and sulfur in it.  I am also using this twice a day.



Then I put Murad Gentle Acne Treatment Gel all over my face.  This also has salicylic acid in it, among other things to help heal and shrink pores.  Again, this is a twice a day type of deal.



And finally, I wrap it up with Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion.  This I only use at night, in the morning I use my Lancome First Signs of Aging Moisturizer.



But, I didn't even stop there...I already use Bare Minerals make-up, and I decided to invest in Bare Minerals Blemish Therapy, which you use to cover up any blemishes (and it covers them up really well) and has Sulfur in it to help fight the pimple.

I've been using all this for almost two weeks, and I really think it's working.  I won't make a final judgement until I get my "monthly gift" while still using this stuff since that tends to be when I break out the worst (stupid hormones).  And seriously, I'm just hoping that I can get my skin under control before the wedding.  Nobody deserves to have a massive, pulsing, painful, tumor-like pimple on their wedding day!

Have you changed your skincare regimen to prepare for your upcoming nuptials?  Do you have any recommendations?  Because if this doesn't work, I'll take any advice I can get...

And don't forget to head over to my post, "Happy 50th Follower to Me" to enter into my give-away...I'll be selecting a winner tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear you on this one. I have battled acne ever since I turned 12. It's gotten better over the years, but I still have to use acne creams to keep it in check, and I still get breakouts, especially when I'm under stress. I'm starting a new skin-care regimine this week, actually, because I'm tired of looking like a kid with a big pimple when I meet with clients and go to my grad classes. I hope your plan works well and that you have clear skin on your wedding day. I lucked out, but I was so nervous about it right up until the day-of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I used to have cystic pimples filling my cheeks. I even went so far as to go on Accutane--something I would never reccommend now.
    My simplest solution is to actually take away everything you bombard your skin with, including makeup. Do not use things with propylene glycol! If you're really stone-serious, stop wearing makeup for a while. Your skin remembers its high school days and straightens up within around 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete