About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 year old Business Systems Analyst planning a DIY-heavy wedding to the love of my life on 9 . 10 . 11. Other then wedding planning, I spend most of my time trying to stay in shape or playing with my 3 dogs...Gabby, Dudley, and Tyson. I hate cleaning and almost never go a day without wearing something purple, and I hope you can keep up with my ADD blogging style!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Prepping for DIY Weekend!

So...it should be fitness recap Friday, but I didn't workout at all!!!!  I was too busy picking up my wedding dress and then being sick with some sort of stomach bug!  So instead, I'm going to talk about my DIY plans for this weekend!

You'll notice on my March Calendar, this weekend I plan on making my card box!  I already have the round boxes as well as the fabric I plan on covering them with, but I thought I would show off some of my inspiration pictures (that I found on Etsy)...
Source
Source
Source
Source
So, obviously mine will be round (since everything at my wedding is going to be round), and I'll also be doing a 3 tier box, although the boxes aren't that big, so it won't be massive.  The fabric that I've purchased is purple an satin-y, and I might put a second fabric on the covers of the boxes that is sheer but with a sparkly, swirly design on it.

The first inspiration picture is a little too much for my taste, but it was purple and round so I liked it, haha.  I also want the opening for the cards to be on the top like it is on that one.

If the second picture was round I would adore it!  I like the small accent of flowers and the ribbon that makes it look more like a present than a cake.

The third one I really like that there are more than one color of flowers.  I really like the rhinestones as well, but I think that would be too much for what I plan on doing, especially if I use the second fabric.

And the third one is super simple, but I like the personalization that is on the top of it.

So basically, I'm going to incorporate all the elements of each one that I like!

A few weeks ago Leana, author of The Engineer + The Geek Tie the Knot, posted this amazing hair flower tutorial, and I might just have to make a few of these to put on my card box (and probably in my hair as well, haha).  Look how gorgeous this thing turned out:
Source
I think I'll only do one of those as a "focal point" and then a few simpler ones around it on the bottom tier (much like the second inspiration picture).  Maybe do that one in a gold color and the smaller ones in shades of purple, or that one in a pale purple and the others in gold...I don't know yet!  We'll have to see what kinds of fabric I can get my hands on between now and Sunday!

What do you think?  Is my card box going to end up having too much going on if I try to blend my inspirations together?

2 comments:

  1. I think it'll look pretty, but if it ends up being too much.. you can always take things off. I'd start out simple and add things as you go (it's easier to add than to subtract, usually.) Good luck! I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your final results! I love the color of the first one! The flowers are super cute!

    ReplyDelete