About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 year old Business Systems Analyst planning a DIY-heavy wedding to the love of my life on 9 . 10 . 11. Other then wedding planning, I spend most of my time trying to stay in shape or playing with my 3 dogs...Gabby, Dudley, and Tyson. I hate cleaning and almost never go a day without wearing something purple, and I hope you can keep up with my ADD blogging style!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Glassware and Napkins and Flowers...Oh My!

Happy Hump Day everyone!  Nothing of epic proportions has happened lately, so I'll be posting about random wedding related stuff...woohoo!

First up, glassware!  Since I'm DIYing my flowers, I needed to get a whole bunch of cylinder vases in order to make my centerpiece vision come true.  Well I've been collecting all sorts of cylinder vases basically since we got engaged last June, and I'm almost done (I think).  I still need to get the shortest ones (for the hydrangeas) but those will be the cheapest, so I'm not that worried.  And I'm thinking I want to get short and fat ones for the hydrangeas since the orchid ones are tall and medium, and the calla ones are medium and skinny.  But whatever, enough talk, more photos, right?  Here's what I've got so far:




In case you couldn't tell, there are basically 4 different height variations.  And yes, I did order fake flowers just to get an idea of what these will look like.  I'm pretty pumped!  I got all of the big vases from Marshall's and TJ Maxx and all of the skinny ones off Craigslist.  Now I plan on getting the short fat ones from Michaels (with 40% off coupons) and probably Marshall's and TJ Maxx as well!

While we're discussing glassware, I should mention my candy buffet.  I've always wanted a candy buffet at my wedding, even before they were *trendy*.  I just love candy.  And it's even better because our mutual love for candy helped bring fi and I together.  See, we worked together, and I had a drawer that was full of an assortment of candy.  And he would use that as an excuse to come over and talk to me when we first met.  Obviously candy would be included in our wedding!

I'm up to 10 apothecary jars, and I don't think I need anymore.  Especially since it's a Pittsburgh tradition to have a cookie table at weddings (basically all the women in the family bake cookies and they're put out at the wedding).  If I get anymore candy buffet jars people might die of sugar overload.  I got all of these at Marshall's and TJ Maxx:


I can't wait until they're all filled with candy...I still haven't decided if we're going to get candy to match our colors or just get whatever kind of candy our hearts desire.  But, I don't have to make that decision yet!

Before we move on, can I just say it sucks trying to take decent pictures of glassware?  Okay, now that I got that off my chest...

NAPKINS!  So, I knew I wanted to have personalized cocktail napkins.  What I didn't realize is that when you order "personalized" cocktail napkins you can't really put whatever you want on them, and I wanted our monogram that I designed.  So, I decided to emboss my own.  It actually is a lot less time consuming then you would imagine.  I have like 200 done, and that was just from 2 sittings.  I want to do at least 500, I might end up going for 1000 though.  And here's what they look like:





I got the stamp of our monogram made by Chip, who I found on Etsy.  He's awesome.  I call him my "stamp guy."  Super high quality stamps and they aren't expensive at all.  Then you just stamp the napkin (I recommend 3 ply napkins to prevent bleeding) with clear ink, sprinkle it with embossing powder, tap off the excess powder, and heat that sucker up with a heat embossing tool.  Next time I'm working on them I'll take a bunch of "how-to" photos for you, promise!

And final topic for this lovely Wednesday...Flowers!  But not real flowers, and not really fake flowers either...Ribbon Flowers!  Yes, I'm making a whole slew of flowers out of ribbon to then make pomanders with for ceremony decor.  This is pretty time consuming, I'm not going to lie.  It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to make one flower, and I'm going to need a lot of flowers.  But here's what they end up looking like:


Each of them look a little different, because they're handmade obviously.  And I'm going to make them in a bunch of different shades of purple ribbon.  I already have a bag full of them, and I need to make a ton more.  Sometimes making them is somewhat therapeutic; other times it's straight up frustrating.  At least I started early though!  I found the instructions for them here.  I don't put felt on the back though since I'm just going to be hot gluing them to a Styrofoam ball, not using them as clips of any sort.

So there you have it, a whole bunch of wedding randomness!  Have you been working on any fun DIYs lately?

*All Personal Photos*

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a budget breakdown for this... how much the napkins, stamp, ink, and embossing supplies cost you. I really want personalized napkins and you make it look so easy, so now I guess it's a matter of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do the ribbon flowers too. They'd be perfect. Love the purple! Hey, you're getting married before me soooo.....maybe I could take them off your hands after. Don't get too excited yet. I'm very noncommittal. I’ve starred this post in my Google reader though.

    ReplyDelete